Demelza specialises in legal issues arising for couples who are in, or have been in, relationships. She is a solicitor and collaborative lawyer, offering a range of options to suit clients’ needs from both our Reigate and Leatherhead offices.
Where a relationship has broken down, Demelza will advise on divorce, dissolution of civil partnerships, separation of unmarried couples, financial issues arising from the breakdown, arrangements for children and allegations of domestic abuse.
Demelza prides herself on listening carefully to clients’ priorities and worries so that she can help them try to resolve matters in a way that upholds those values and overall goals, within the legal framework. She is committed to helping clients use an amicable and constructive approach to resolving issues wherever possible, with a view to keeping both their personal and economic dignity intact.
Where couples have children, Demelza tries to help them establish the realities of their lives and focus on the needs of their children with a view to sidestepping conflict and helping their children through the family’s transition in the best way possible.
Clients praise Demelza for being approachable, accessible, caring and yet realistic and firm where needed, with meticulous attention to detail. Her calm, reassuring approach inspires confidence. She is regularly recommended by existing and former clients as well as by professional contacts.
Most of Demelza’s cases are resolved without court proceedings being issued. If court proceedings do become necessary, many cases are settled at an early stage because of her proactive and pragmatic approach to matters.
Demelza is head of the Reigate office. As a busy working mum, she enjoys spending most of her spare time with her children, particularly taking trips to her native Cornwall.
- Advising clients who are going through mediation or discussing matters directly with their spouse or ex-partner, empowering them to make informed decisions.
- Resolving matters for clients through the collaborative process.
- Advising individuals going through Court proceedings to in respect of financial matters or arrangements for children following divorce or separation.
- Representing high profile individuals and dealing with complex, high value assets including businesses, trusts, pensions and tax issues.
- Advising clients with more “ordinary” asset bases where creative and pragmatic solutions are necessary to ensure that assets can be shared fairly.
- Advising parents when deciding how children should share their time between parents and on issues such as which school a child should attend, whether they should have particular medical treatment and where children have complex health or educational needs. Particular expertise in complex Children Act proceedings where there has been drug or alcohol abuse.
- Representing third parties who need to intervene in court proceedings where a family member has an interest in a property or family business.
- Regularly recommended by existing or former clients to provide second opinions for individuals who are not satisfied with their representation, either providing reassurance that they are receiving reasonable advice from their current solicitor, or taking over conduct of the matter.
- Has a national reputation for her expertise in dealing with Sperm Donor Agreements, both preparing agreements for prospective donors and recipient couples and advising on historical agreements drafted by other practitioners where problems have arisen.
- Regularly advises LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Advising on Pre-Nuptial Agreements and Post-Nuptial Agreements, particularly in high value complex cases.
- Preparing Cohabitation Agreements for couples who wish to live together but not marry.